Department of Engineering
Certificate in Electrical Installation and Maintenance
The certificate in Electrical Installation and Maintenance is a one year programme and is a Level 3 programme, at Botho University. There are two semesters in the programme, out of which the students will be expected to do an internship (Industrial training) in the second semester.
The students enrolled in this programme will study the basics of electrical and electronics, design circuits for industrial and house wiring. They shall install electrical components and the appliances based on the designed electrical circuits. Also the training will involve finding faults in the electrical circuit and troubleshoot electrical power systems.
The programme will also familiarise the students with electrical devices, types of wires, various tools and electrical machines such as transformers, motors and generators. The student graduates will be able to work in the various fields of electrical industry such as field service technician, maintenance electrician, quality assurance technician in electrical manufacturing industry, power Plant etc. They can also be self-employed.
Programme details: The programme consists of core modules as listed below. The number at the end of the module in parenthesis indicates the credit load of the module. 1 credit is equal to 10 hours of learning (guided, in-class and independent combined); therefore a 10-credit module requires on average 100 hours of learning from the student.
Entry requirements: A Junior Secondary level Form 3 with a certificate (JC) or equivalent, and/or with relevant work experience. Any relevant prior learning will be taken into consideration.
- Basic Professional skills (20 credits)
- Electrical and electronics theory (40 credits)
- Practice of Electrical Installation and maintenance(30 credits)
- Industrial Training (30 credits)
1) Applicants are expected to have successfully completed secondary schooling. The typical entry requirement is BGCSE or IGCSE (in Botswana), LGCSE (in Lesotho) or other equivalent secondary school qualification.
2) The applicant should have passed in a minimum of five BGCSE or equivalent subjects including English, Mathematics and either one of Physics, Integrated Sciences, Double Sciences, or PC (Physics and Chemistry).
3) Applicants in possession of a Diploma or Higher Diploma in related field will be given exemptions based on the credit point equivalency
4) For enquiries and more information please visit our General Admissions Information page